At Highgate Holistic Clinic we aim to offer a wide choice of different treatments. Not everyone responds the same to one specific approach, and it is important to us that you find the right therapy for your specific needs.
If you are looking for physical therapies, you can try acupuncture, chinese and western phytotherapy, our wide range of massage, reflexology or the brand new rolfing technique. If you are more leaning towards energy therapies, there is plenty of options from Reiki, EFT to Shamanic healing and homeopathy. And finally, for any emotional support we offer different types of psychotherapy, coaching, CBT, NLP and Hypnotherapy.
For more information on all our treatments, scroll over the titles below.
Complementary therapies at Highgate Holistic Clinic:
- Hypnotherapy and NLPHypnotherapy and NLPThe combination of Hypnotherapy and NLP offers a gentle way to address all those self-sabotaging behaviours that affect your life. Contrary to stage hypnosis, hypnotherapy allows you to be very relaxed whilst being completely aware of what is going on and completely in control of the session. During this lovely relaxed state, with the help of your practitioner, you can access some deep subconscious resources that will help you solve your issues where your will power alone hasn’t been sufficient.
Hypnotherapy has been proven the most effective method to stop smoking, but is also very helpful with weight loss, eating or sleeping disorders, depression, anxiety, phobia, health issues, low confidence, fertility and pregnancy, or any type of trauma.
Prices from £50
Practitioners: Peggy Guglielmino
- ThetaHealing®ThetaHealing®What is ThetaHealing®?
ThetaHealing® is a highly effective energy healing and personal development modality that empowers you for positive change. Through a range of tools and techniques, you can reprogram your subconscious mind from your limiting beliefs and feelings that are preventing you from happiness, wellness, prosperity, abundance and love.
The ThetaHealing utilizes a meditation technique and a spiritual philosophy with the purpose of improvement in mind, body and spirit while getting closer to the Creator of All That Is. It is a focused prayer to the Creator and allows you to train your mind, body and spirit to clear limiting beliefs and live life with positive thoughts, developing virtues in all that we do. Through meditation, the ThetaHealing Technique creates a positive lifestyle.
Sessions are incredibly empowering, through a range of tools and techniques, a practitioner is able to access the limiting beliefs and feelings stored in the subconscious mind and change them instantly into empowering ones. The practitioner does this from the theta brainwave. When we change what we believe, we change how we feel, which leads to making different choices and taking new actions. Hence changing our results and our life. The client is an active part of the healing, enabling the creation of the life that She/he chooses to live!
- Life coachingLife coachingDo you feel unfulfilled in some areas of your life? Do you have the feeling that you are limiting yourself with self-sabotaging behaviours? Would you like to improve your relationships or your work performances?Life coaching is about setting yourself some exiting goals, understanding why and how you behave the way you do, what prevents you from taking actions to stop those unsatisfying behaviours and how you can change them. Finally we show you how you can enhance your skills, your competencies and your assets to apply them to the different parts of your life that need a boost.
Whether you choose to increase your work performances, earn more money or ameliorate your personal and professional relationships, you will learn some new powerful strategies to get the results you're looking for while being supported by a dedicated coach.
Life coaching is a very good prelude to other complementary therapies such as EFT, NLP or hypnotherapy.
Price: From £85 (60 minutes)
Practitioners: Peggy Guglielmino, Nathalie Roth
- EFTEFTEFT is a complementary therapy based on similar principles to acupuncture as it works on the energy meridians that travel through the body. The philosophy behind EFT is that if a person has an emotional or physical issue, there's a disruption in their body's energy. EFT is a gentle yet powerful technique combining meridian therapies and modern psychology. It involves soft tapping on some energy points on the body related to the energetic meridians, that helps re-establish the body's energy balance and release emotional and physical blockages.
Combined with NLP and Hypnotherapy in Highgate, EFT is very efficient in treating all sort of issues such as depression, stress and anxiety, past trauma as well as physical discomfort.
Practitioner: Peggy Guglielmino
- AcupunctureAcupunctureAcupuncture is an ancient medical system which has been practised in China and other Eastern countries for thousands of years. It forms part of the traditional medicine of China (TCM) together with tui-na massage and herbal medicine and viewed as a complementary therapy in Western world. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine Qi (or vital energy) circulates through a series of invisible channels beneath the skin. Qi consists of equal and opposite qualities – Yin and Yang – and when these become unbalanced, the flow of Qi is disrupted and over time, ill health may occur. The flow of Qi can be disturbed by factors such as emotional states, poor nutrition, stimulants, weather conditions, hereditary factors, infections, toxins and trauma.
Acupuncture involves the gentle insertion of very fine needles in key areas along the channels (acupuncture points) to stimulate and balance Qi in order to restore health. Taking into account a wide range of signs and symptoms (including tongue and pulse diagnosis) the aim is to identify a pattern which points to an underlying imbalance that can be corrected by safe and effective treatment.
Today, acupuncture is used extensively in state hospitals in China alongside Western medicine and is now available on the NHS and in GP practices in Highgate and the rest of the UK.
Prices from £60
Practitioners: Jinal Shah, Alex Owen, Lynne Williams,
- OsteopathyOsteopathyIn simple terms the role of the Osteopath is to relieve pain, improve mobility and to make patients lives more comfortable by stimulating their own healing response. Through a combination of direct, hands-on techniques and postural and lifestyle advice, osteopathy can enable people to return to normal activities with minimal delay. The techniques applied may be soft tissue massage, joint mobilisation or manipulation, Cranial Therapy or a combination of these. Treatment is often carried out through light clothing or you may be asked to remove some outer garments if necessary.
Osteopaths assess and treat a wide range of healthcare issues in both adults and children. They spend most of their working lives dealing with pain whether is occurs early in life as a result of a difficult birth, in adulthood due to accidents or occupational strain or in later life due to arthritis. Some conditions commonly treated are low back and neck pain, headaches and migraine, sciatica and trapped nerves and sports injuries.
Osteopathy is a holistic approach helpful in pregnancy when the bodily changes can cause strains which may result in painful symptoms both during and after pregnancy.
For babies and children the treatment option of choice is usually Cranial Therapy, a subtle manipulation of the plates of the skull and other joints of the body that have undergone significant strains during birth - this treatment is also very effective for adults.
- ReikiReikiReiki, a Japanese technique commonly called palm healing, is a hands on treatment where by healing energy is released into the body. Reiki is channelled through the practitioner and the recipient’s body draws the energy to those parts of the body that require it.
What are the benefits?
- Creates deep relaxation and aids the body to release stress and tension
- Helps relieve pain
- Triggers the bodies natural healing abilities
- Supports during times of crises, depression and illness
- Speeds recovery after surgery and injury
- Releases blocked energies and cleanse toxins
- Increases vitality
- Aids better sleep
- Supports the immune system
Why choose Reiki?
When the flow of the Energy is disrupted, weakened or blocked in our body, emotional or health problems tend to occur. Imbalances can be caused from many situations occurring in our lives or from emotions that are not expressed in a healthy way.
Whilst it can relieve pain and help to regenerate organs and tissue, Reiki can also loosen blocked energy, promote total relaxation and work on the mental and emotional levels to re-establish mental well-being and spiritual equilibrium.
What happens during a treatment?
Before the first session, a detailed consultation and medical history is taken. Fully clothed, you will lie on a couch.
The therapist places her hands gently on and over the body in a sequence of positions, holding each one for several minutes. Reiki may be experienced as a flow of energy, mild tingling, warmth, coolness, other sensations, or nothing at all.
Prices from £75
Practitioners: Nathalie Roth,
- Deep tissue massageDeep tissue massageThis is a powerful way to restore health to aged, damaged, stiff or immobile muscles. Deep tissue massage is a very effective technique that focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue, tendons and facial (the body’s connective sheath). Deep finger pressure and slow strokes are to release the body muscle knots. Deep tissue pressure encourages the muscles and tendons to release tension.
The application of pressure and movement encourages the blood and oxygen to circulate properly. Muscle tension and spasms are elevated, discomfort relieved, healing promoted.
Deep tissue work has a positive impact on the whole person physically and energetically.
Prices from £40
Practitioners: Simone Dyer
- Hot stones massageHot stones massageStone Therapy Massage (also known as Geothermotherapy) is really an extension of manual massage. It combines the use of hot and cold stones with traditional massage techniques to bring about deep relaxation and homeostasis on a physical, psychological and spiritual level. This modern day treatment draws upon ancient healing arts and traditions to deliver a deeper massage with less exertion required from the therapist. The body becomes relaxed in a much shorter space of time, and the therapist can focus on a deep working of the tissues using both stone and hand strokes. The heat not only relaxes the muscles faster. it also acts as a natural analgesic (pain-killer), allowing for more comfortable deep tissue work.
- Aromatherapy massageAromatherapy massageAromatherapy is the systematic use of essential oils for the treatment or prevention of disease. Essential oils have varied properties and once the most appropriate ones are chosen, they are mixed with carrier oils and used as a massage medium as per usual. The essential oils get absorbed into the bloodstream and are therefore able to work on all the different systems of the body. They are most effective if administered regularly and as a part of a course of treatments.
- Shiatsu/Thai MassageShiatsu/Thai MassageA traditional Japanese or Thai massage stimulates pressure points along the meridian lines, stretching muscles, manipulating acupuncture points and energy zones to removes blockages. When balance is restored in the body, healing occurs calming and relaxing both body and mind.
- Relieves pain in the musculoskeletal, back, neck and joints.
- Restores the body’s natural balance and energy, to promote healing in the body.
- Promotes good circulation improving blood flow throughout the body.
- Relieves migraines and headaches.
- Can help to relieve menstrual pains.
- Reduces stress and tensions as well as anxiety, depression and fatigue.
- Can help to relieve digestive disorders and constipation.
Practitioner: Simone Dyer
- HomeopathyHomeopathyHomeopathy is the art of healing the individual; at it's centre is the patients own self-healing process. Symptoms are the representation of the disease and are manifested by the whole body; they are the messengers. During a consultation a unique picture of the person is built up around the patients peculiar and characteristic symptom picture. A remedy is then selected based on this. Homeopathy is great for acute issues, but it is also brilliant for chronic conditions. Homeopathy goes to the heart of the patients condition by finding out the whole story. It affects the physical body, but also the mind and the emotions. It is an evolutionary process and thus involves personal growth and development.
Homeopathy can help with many issues such as Asthma, Anxiety, Allergies, Bronchitis, Childhood Diseases
Coughs, Colds and Sore Throats, Depression, Digestive Disorders, Earache, Eczema, Exhaustion, Emotional issues, Fibroids, Grief, Headaches & Migraines, Menopause, Menstrual Complaints & Infertility, Pregnancy & Birth, Sleep Problems, Thyroid Imbalances, Urinary Disorders, Vaccination Side-Effects, Varicose Veins etc.
Prices Adult £80 (60 minutes), Children (to age 12) £50 (45 minutes)
Practitioners: Danielle Abramov
- PsychonomyPsychonomyPsychonomy is a smooth manual method coming from France. It is very similar to osteopathy but involves softer touch, with more global effects.
It is recommended for anyone and any kind of pain, physical, or emotional, such as shock pains, stressed muscles or bones, early or old pains in any part of your body for example. It can also help with sleep disorder or stress, with headaches and migraines as well as helping you to recover from fatigue and maintain a very good energy level.
Psychonomy is also efficient to help with exams nerves, surgery, or to prepare you for very important professional meetings or any kind of situation when you need to be fully ready.
Psychonomy is also a complementary technique to assist any kind of other medical treatment.
A session is around 30 minutes long and you will need very few sessions to feel better.
Maintenance involves 4 sessions a year to keep going at your optimal level.
- Tuina Massage Tuina MassageTuina massage is one of the fundamental elements of Traditional Chinese medicine. Using the TCM understanding of the body and its energy pathways, Tuina massage techniques aim to release muscle tension, balance internal organ function and clear the body of toxicity.
Tuina is a relatively strong form of massage, penetrating and releasing deep muscles. However, the patient is left feeling enlivened and lighter after the massage is finished. The strength of massage can be tailored to the desire of the patient, but if you like a deep, strong massage you won't be disappointed. The massage works well as a stand-alone massage but can also be used in conjunction with other techniques such as acupuncture and cupping.
Available in combination with acupuncture from £60
Practitioners: Alex Owen, Lynne Williams,
- Scar MassageScar Massage
Why scar massage?
Scar tissue may become hard and raised. Massage can help to soften and flatten the scar tissue. Scar tissue may stick to the underlying muscles, tendons, blood vessels, nerves and bones. Massage can prevent this from happening and helps to keep the scar tissue flexible.
- Family constellations and systemic constellationsFamily constellations and systemic constellationsFamily Constellations, created by Bert Hellinger, are about reconnecting us with our roots and enabling each family member to tap into the natural flow of familial love and support, bringing the peace of mind that comes when we know we are right where we are supposed to be. Doing a family constellation can help resolve any challenge in relationships whether with a spouse, children, ex-partners, parents, in-laws or siblings. The impact of this soft process is huge and you could have the feeling to be more in touch with yourself, building self-confidence, trust and empower your life.
What’s different about Family Constellations
- Most people resolve their issue in just one or a few sessions. It is quick and very cost effective
- You don’t need the other person(s) in your issue to be present
- We don’t need to know what happened in your issue – just some bare facts
- The resolution often appears to ripple out and effects the other people in your issue, even though they didn’t attend
- It is a gentle, sensitive, effective process
- It is an alternative method to traditional counselling, although it can be used in combination with counselling
Types of Issues we can treat:
- Relationships, couple or family issues
- parents and parenting
- difficulty to get pregnant with IVF
- abuse and violence
- removing blocks
- professional and unemployment
- feeling disconnected from your roots (exile)
Practitioner: Nathalie Roth
- Sports massageSports massageSports and remedial massage is an effective treatment for anybody suffering from aches, pain, stiffness or dysfunction in their soft tissue (muscles, ligaments and tendons).
It is a very deep and powerful form of massage aimed at increasing recovery time after sports and preventing sports injuries, increasing joint mobility and range of movement, improving posture and treating acute and chronic conditions in soft tissue caused by injury, sports, illness or day-to-day life.
Whether you are looking for an invigorating and rejuvenating treatment, or a more relaxing and restorative one, sports and remedial massage can play an important role in your general wellbeing and physical maintenance.
- Chinese herbal medicineChinese herbal medicineChinese medicine makes use of a wide variety of herbs to benefit a vast array of health problems. Based on the effect their taste and temperature has on the various systems of the body, herbs are combined into finely balanced formulas, in which each herb accentuates certain qualities of the other herbs to increase the therapeutic effect. Herbal medicine can be administered in a number of different forms, including loose herbs that are boiled to make a decoction or tea, powdered herbs, and capsules or pills.
Practitioners and price information: Alex Owen
- ReflexologyReflexologyReflexology treats the whole person by stimulating precise areas on the feet and hands known as reflexes. These reflexes correspond to all structures and organs of the body and energy field. The theory of reflexology is that the stimulation encourages the re-balancing of the person through deep relaxation and reducing stress and tension. This may encourage the body to renew and repair itself and restore its own healthy balance. May improve sleep, mood and mental state, increase coping ability and improve well-being.
Reflexology is supportive of issues of fertility and sub-fertility for men and women and whilst undergoing assisted conception programmes.
This complementary therapy is suitable from conception, through each trimester of pregnancy and may help prepare for labour and birth. Post-natal benefits include re-adjustment of hormones, helps with breastfeeding issues, and adjustment to being a parent.
Practitioner: Natalie Roth,
For most women finding out, they are pregnant is a time for joy and celebration but there are also times throughout the pregnancy when women may need some additional support and reflexology is one option for improving wellbeing.
Reflexology can benefit a woman and is safe at every stage of her pregnancy, from conception journey (including IVF process) through all three trimesters, during labour and even post-partum.
Many women are now choosing to have reflexology throughout their pregnancy and postnatally as it can offer many benefits such as aiding relaxation, reducing anxiety, helps elevate emotional issues, improving sleep but also for support with common conditions that can arise in pregnancy such as hormonal imbalance, morning sickness and nausea, constipation, low back pain, sciatica, restless legs, heartburn, high blood pressure, odema (swelling), itching, shortness of breath or to help prepare their body for birthing as well in postnatal fatigue, breastfeeding, postnatal blues or urination difficulties.
Reflexology acknowledges that every person is unique. Each of our treatments is adapted to each mothers needs and is based on an assessment made during the initial consultation. Qualified maternity reflexologist takes also a full history to ensure that it’s safe and appropriate to carry out a treatment and to design a personalised treatment plan. Homecare advice helps to prolong the effects of the treatment.
Practitioner: Ania Koscianska,
- Meditation and energy workMeditation and energy workWhat is meditation?
Meditation isn’t about becoming a different person, a new person, or even a better person. It’s about training in awareness and getting a healthy sense of perspective. You’re not trying to turn off your thoughts or feelings. You’re learning to observe them without judgment. And eventually, you may start to better understand them as well.
Prices: Energy work from £55
Practitioners: Nathalie Roth,
- Indian head massageIndian head massageIndian Head Massage is an age-old system used to improve the health by stimulating the scalp, and includes a massage of the shoulders and upper back, upper arms, neck, scalp, ears and face. It is an extremely relaxing and effective therapy that relieves aches, pains and stress and provides a deep sense of calm and tranquility as it stimulates the energy pathways, called Meridians, clearing congestion and relieving tension.
Clients report that the experience is deeply calming and relaxing, leaving them feeling energised and revitalised and better able to concentrate. This technique is also beneficial for computer users.
Price: £70 (60 minutes)
Practitioners: Natalie Roth
- Nutritional TherapyNutritional TherapyNutritional Therapy:
Nutritional therapy is an evidence-based discipline which uses nutritional science to promote individualised health and well-being. Utilising a functional medicine approach, it aims to address the root cause of ill-health rather than just the symptoms. Whether it is hormonal imbalances, digestive complaints, skin issues, hair loss, weight management, autoimmune conditions, low energy levels, managing a dietary condition, or developing a healthy relationship with food, nutritional therapy can be an invaluable tool to help you achieve optimal health and well being.
What does ‘healthy eating’ actually mean? To begin with, it’s important to understand that healthy eating is different from dieting. It doesn’t aim to reduce a significant amount of weight in a short space of time, instead it aims to make you feel great, energised and above all, healthier.
Practitioners: Lucy De Gregorio
- Food Sensitivity and Allergy TestingFood Sensitivity and Allergy TestingAre you either periodically or continuously experiencing one or more of the following symptoms?
- Red/watery eyes
- Prolonged nausea
- Congested sinuses
- Skin rashes
- Frequent sneezing
- Headaches or migraines
- Diarrhoea and/or constipation
- Bloating, stomach cramps, wind
- Moodiness or irritability
- Low energy or unwarranted fatigue
These indicate that you might be suffering from an allergy or intolerance to foods, additives or substances in your environment. This may be because our diet has changed significantly in the last few decades with more foods available and increased amounts of chemicals being used in their production and storage.
Vega testing is a bio energetic technique developed forty years ago in Germany. It is a non-invasive, painless, diagnostic tool for determining some of the causes of ill health, be it persistent viral, fungal or bacterial overload, vitamin or mineral deficiency, food intolerance or emotional blocks. The Vega machine was the first in its genre of bio-energetic machines using physics rather than biochemistry to investigate the causes of ill health.
Allergy/food sensitivity test (1 hour) £65
Additional tests (E numbers, environmental substances, hormones) £10 each
Follow up testing £30
Practitioners: Danielle Abramov
- MindfulnessMindfulnessThe aim of these techniques is to help you to learn to be aware of your thoughts and bodily sensations. In doing so, you will be able to better cope with you day to day emotions, to see things somewhat differently, to a sense of having more options, more strength and more confidence in your possibilities.
Developing greater awareness can open you to be able to change how you approach your experiences – taking more pleasure and dealing more effectively with the unpredictable in your daily life.
Home practice is a beneficial part of the process and people who commit themselves to a little practice per day will benefit most.
Prices: please contact Nathalie Roth, Simone Dyer
- Pregnancy Massage Pregnancy MassagePregnancy massage, labour support and Postnatal Care
Whatever stage of your pregnancy you are in and whatever symptoms or discomfort you are experiencing, Ania can offer relief, support and guidance throughout your pregnancy and labour, as well as assist you with the recovery after giving birth. Massage can help with relieving muscular pains and aches, get the lymph flowing to take care of those swollen ankles and relax the body to offer more comfort for Mum and baby. Aromatherapy can assist with all sorts of symptoms including pain and aches, water retention, nausea, morning sickness, stretch marks, cramps, varicose veins, broken veins and more.
Prices from £60
Practitioners: Simone Dyer
- Aromatherapy treatmentAromatherapy treatmentAs a holistic therapy Aromatherapy is able to work on several levels of the individuals well being.
Aromatherapy is derived from the ancient practice of using natural plant essences to promote health and well being. It consists of the use of pure essential oils obtained from a wide assortment of plants, which have been steam distilled or cold-pressed from flowers, fruit, bark and roots.
Aromatherapy can help ease a wide assortment of ailments; easing aches, pains, and injuries, while relieving the discomforts of many health problems.
Aromatherapy also acts on the central nervous system, relieving depression and anxiety, reducing stress, relaxing, uplifting, sedating or stimulating, restoring both physical and emotional well being.
The appropriate oils can have powerful results, both on the body and the spirit.
The first treatment will last approximately 1.5 hours and includes a consultation prior to your massage. You will be asked detailed questions about your life in general, your work, state of health and medical history so that a combination of oils can be prepared to best suit your needs.
Each treatment is unique and individual and all information will be kept entirely confidential.
Once the oils have been blended according to your own unique, personal requirements, they will be applied to the skin via a massage treatment. You will then be able to take your own personal blend of Essential oils to use at home.
Healing is a holistic therapy that treats the whole person, their body, mind and spirit. Like yoga and traditional oriental massage systems, Healing is based on an energy flow and energy balance model of health and healing. A natural healing energy flows to the recipient and connects with their life force energy (also known as Qi/Chi, vital energy, Prana). By unblocking, balancing and enhancing the flow of vital energy, Healing strengthens the body’s regenerative self-healing ability and restores a sense of well-being.
Healing offers the time and space to rest, restore balance and receive comfort and support. After treatments recipients report experiences of deep relaxation and calm, better health and inner strength. Healing is often used in a complementary role alongside medical treatments. It is an evidence-based therapy, research has shown that healing delivers improvements in symptoms and wellbeing.
Healing has been seen to help many health conditions including back pain, joint pain, chronic muscular tension and shoulder pain, arthritis, irritable bowel and inflammatory bowel disease, stress and anxiety, depression, chronic headaches/migraines, M.E. and MS. It can be particularly helpful for all stress-related health conditions. Healing is beneficial during pregnancy and for post-natal healing. It can be comforting and supportive at times of stress, upheaval, bereavement and grief.
Healing helps us come back to the present moment, come back to ourselves and re-connect to the inner peace and calm that is always within.
What happens during a treatment?
Before the first session, a detailed consultation and medical history is taken. Then fully clothed, you will lie on a comfortable couch and simply relax and rest.
The therapist gently places her hands non-intrusively in a sequence of positions on and over the body, sometimes holding each one for a few minutes. The Healing may be experienced as a flow of energy, mild tingling, warmth, coolness, other sensations, or nothing at all.
£50 for the initial session/follow up - when a course of 4-6 treatments is booked (60-70 minutes)
£55 for one session for deep relaxation (60-70 minutes)
- Pregnancy Package Pregnancy PackageOur practitioners here at Highgate Holistic Clinic have come together to offer you a unique pregnancy experience. Select therapies you are interested in trying and the more you select the larger the discount you will receive on every treatment!
Each therapist has experience and expertise in pregnancy and its related conditions. So whether you are suffering from morning sickness, emotional distress, wanting to ease back pain or looking to have a natural labour, the therapies you require are all right here.
Acupuncture Alex Owen £60/60mins
Reflexology Nathalie Roth £60/60mins
Homeopathy Danielle Abramov £75/60mins
Pregnancy Massage Simone Dyer from £60
1. Choice of 3 therapies – 5%off each – expires in three months from the date of purchase
2. Choice of 4 therapies – 10%off each – expires in four months from the date of purchase
3. Choice of 5 therapies – 15%off each – expires in five months from the date of purchase
The whole package of choice must be paid to the first therapist. Please be aware that each therapist has their own cancellation policy.
- DoulaBirth and Post-Natal Douladoula is a mother to the mother, a constant friend and a sacred source of support to a woman throughout her pregnancy, birth and after her baby is born. It is also possible to doula a woman through her fertility journey. A doula's role is to provide non-medical practical, emotional and informational support to you during pregnancy, birth and after your baby is born. Supporting you and your partner to have an enjoyable pregnancy and a gentle birth & empowered introduction to parenthood.
Practitioners: Simone Dyer
- Gestalt TherapyGestalt therapy
What is 'Gestalt therapy' and how does it differ from other talking therapies?
Gestalt therapy was founded in the 1940s and 50s by Fritz and Laura Perls. Up until then, psychoanalysis was a traditional route for counselling and therapy, but in response to a shifting society post war, Fritz and Laura Perls sought to build on and move beyond this school of thought, drawing on elements of eastern principles including Buddhism and mindfulness practice and combining them with Gestalt psychology, existentialist philosophy, phenomenology and field theory in physics, to create a more holistic approach to therapy that takes into account our physical sensations, perceptions, emotions and behaviour at any given time. In Gestalt, we look at a person as a whole individual living in a continually changing context as opposed to a defined being with a pre-determined set of symptoms. Emphasis moves away from thinking about the past or future and looks at how the past or future might be impacting our present right now. It works from the basic principle that we aren't fixed, but might have learned ways of coping at certain points in our lives which no longer serve us well. With creativity and awareness, we can change and adapt at any given time towards a more fruitful, satisfying and alive future.
Prices: initial consultation £50, follow up session £65
Practitioner: Katerina Georgiou
- Swedish MassageSwedish MassageIn the early 19th century he developed a system called "Medical Gymnastics" which included movements performed by a therapist. These became known as "Swedish movements" in Europe and "the Swedish Movement Cure" when they came to the U.S. in 1858. Today it is simply known as Swedish massage.
Swedish massage therapy is the modality that comes to mind when most people think about massage. As the best-known type of bodywork performed today, one of the primary goals of the Swedish massage technique is to relax the entire body. This is accomplished by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes in the direction of blood returning to the heart. But Swedish massage therapy goes beyond relaxation. Swedish massage is exceptionally beneficial for increasing the level of oxygen in the blood, decreasing muscle toxins, improving circulation and flexibility while easing tension.
- Creative HealingCreative Healing
Creative Healing is a natural healthcare method founded by Joseph B Stevenson in the 1940's. This gentle, hands-on technique aims to restore the function to a particular part of the body or organ, by realigning the flows of energy to that part of the body, supporting the body to heal itself. These treatments have been given to women desiring to heal their wombs/menstrual upset, conceive and to mothers during pregnancy, producing effective results and wonderful experiences. Creative healing supports the body to support itself in clearing congestion, optimising physiological function, relieve discomfort and helps leave you feeling deeply relaxed & nurtured no matter where you are on your journey.
Prices: from £60
Practitioners: Simone Dyer
- CuppingCuppingCupping is perhaps a less well-known technique used in Chinese medicine. It can feel very relaxing.
Small glass cups are placed on the skin and used as suction devices. Placing an inverted cup over a small flame creates the suction.
Moving the cups gently across the skin, combined with the suction causes the skin and superficial muscle layer to be lightly drawn into the cup - a kind of "inverted massage" - with gentle upward pressure. Many patients, find this a very pleasant experience.
Cupping can loosen muscles, encourage blood flow, clear congestion and calm the nervous system.
Price Initial Consultation £75 (75min), Follow up £60 (50mins)
Practitioner: Lynne Williams,